Street Furniture Advertising in 2023, Definition, Types & Examples
When it comes to advertising, the streets are a great place to start. It's a great way to reach people on the move, and street furniture advertising is just one of the many options for getting your message out there.
Street furniture ads can come in many forms, from billboards to bus stops, benches to banners. They offer a creative way to get your message in front of potential customers and can be used to promote anything from a product or service to an upcoming event.
The key to getting the most out of your street furniture advertising is to make sure you have the right message and the right placement. You'll want to look at the foot traffic in the area, the demographics of the people who frequent the area, and the type of furniture you're using.
For instance, if you're targeting younger customers, you may want to consider using digital screens on benches or bus stops, as they can be used to display moving images and videos. On the other hand, if you're targeting an older demographic, static ads may be more suitable.
It's also important to consider the materials you use for your street furniture ads. You want to make sure your message stands out, so investing in quality materials such as strong plastics and metals is worth considering. High-quality materials will last longer and give your campaign a professional look.
Another important consideration is cost. Street furniture ads are typically cheaper than traditional media, but if you're looking to get the most out of your campaign, you may want to consider working with an experienced advertising company who can help you to secure the best deals.
Finally, you'll want to make sure you're tracking the success of your street furniture advertising. You can do this by using analytics software to measure views, clicks, and conversions. This will help you to understand which messages are working and where you should be focusing your money.
Street furniture advertising is a great way to reach people on the move and get your message across in a creative and cost-effective way. By considering the placement, materials, and tracking, you can ensure that your campaign is successful and reaches its full potential.
Facts About Street Furniture Advertising
- Street furniture advertising is a form of outdoor advertising.
- It includes billboards, bus shelters, and other forms of advertisement on the street.
- Street furniture advertising provides high visibility and reach for advertisers.
- It's well-suited for targeting specific demographics and geographic areas.
- Street furniture advertising is considered a cost-effective form of advertising.
- It's also an environmentally friendly form of advertising.
- Street furniture advertising is regulated by city governments to ensure that it is not intrusive or distracting.
Street Furniture Advertising Statistics 2022
According to the Outdoor Advertising Association of America (OAAA), street furniture advertising is expected to reach a total of $1.85 billion in 2022. This figure is up from $1.63 billion in 2017. The OAAA also notes that street furniture and public transit advertising is the third largest category in the out-of-home ad industry, after digital displays and billboards.
In addition, street furniture advertising is expected to account for approximately 15 per cent of all out-of-home ad spending in 2022, compared to 11 percent in 2017. Finally, the OAAA estimates that street furniture advertising will grow by an average of 4.1 percent annually from 2017 to 2022.
Characteristics of Street Furniture Advertising
Street furniture advertising is a popular form of outdoor advertising, which includes ads placed on benches, bus shelters, kiosks, and other public assets. Characteristics of street furniture advertising include:
- Visibility: Street furniture advertising is highly visible, as it is placed in public locations in order to be seen by the most people possible. Ads can be seen by people walking, driving, or riding public transport.
- Flexibility: Ads can easily be changed, rotated, or rearranged depending on the company’s needs. Ads can also be moved from one location to another if required.
- Cost-effectiveness: Street furniture advertising is usually much less expensive than other forms of outdoor advertising, making it a great option for companies on a budget.
- Targeted Advertising: Ads can be targeted to specific areas or audiences, making sure that the right message is being delivered to the right people.
- Durability: Street furniture advertising is designed to withstand all types of weather, ensuring your ad stays in great condition for a long time.
Street Furniture Advertising Examples
- Bus Shelters: Bus shelters are one of the most popular forms of street furniture advertising. Bus shelters often feature advertising on the outside and inside walls, allowing advertisers to target a wide range of potential customers.
- Phone Booths: Phone booths are another popular form of street furniture advertising. Phone booths can display posters, banners, and other advertisements.
- Benches: Benches are often found in parks, public squares, and other outdoor spaces. Advertisers can place their adverts directly onto the bench or on the back of the bench.
- Public Toilets: Some public toilets are outfitted with advertising panels. These allow advertisers to target people who are using the toilet.
- Public Art: Public art, such as sculptures and murals, can be used to advertise products or services. Ads can be placed directly onto the art or on nearby boards.
- Street Signs: Street signs are a great way to advertise. Advertisers can place their ads on top of or alongside existing street signs to reach a larger audience.
Types of Street Furniture Advertising
- Kiosks: Kiosks are a popular form of street furniture advertising because they are highly visible, and they can be used to display ads, information, or product samples.
- Bus Shelters: Bus shelters provide shelter for bus riders, but they also provide an opportunity for advertising. Bus shelters offer prime space for advertisers to display their messages in a highly visible location.
- Billboards: Billboards are a common form of advertising, and they are often placed near streets and highways. Billboard advertising can be used to reach a broad audience, as they can be seen from a distance.
- Benches: Benches are an excellent form of street furniture advertising, as they can be used to display ads, posters, or product samples to passersby.
- Street Poles: Street poles are an effective form of advertising, as they are highly visible and can be used to display signage and posters.
- Garbage Cans: Garbage cans provide an opportunity for advertisers to display their messages in a highly visible location. Ads placed on garbage cans can be seen by a large number of people.
Rates and Costs of Street Furniture Advertising
The cost of street furniture advertising depends on the size and location of the advertisement, as well as the number of ad exposures. Costs can vary widely and typically range from a few hundred to several thousand dollars per month. Rates are usually determined by a cost-per-thousand (CPM) basis. This means that the cost is based on how many people the ad will reach. For example, an ad placed near a busy intersection may cost more than an ad placed in a less-trafficked area. Additionally, other factors such as the quality of the advertisement, the materials used, and the demographic of the audience can also affect the cost.
Advantages of Street Furniture Advertising
- Cost-Effective: Street furniture advertising is a cost-effective form of advertising. Since street furniture is already in place in busy areas, it is much cheaper to rent than space on a building or billboard.
- Reach a Wider Audience: By placing ads on street furniture, businesses can reach a wider audience in a short period of time. The ads can be seen by people who are walking or driving by, making it easier for businesses to target a broader demographic.
- Highly Visible: Street furniture is generally placed in high-traffic areas, meaning that ads placed on it will be highly visible. This increases the chances of them being seen and remembered by passersby.
- Easy to Place: Since street furniture is already in place, it is easy and convenient to place ads on it. This eliminates the need to invest in more costly forms of advertising such as billboards or large banners.
Disadvantages of Street Furniture Advertising
1.Limited Audience: One of the biggest downsides of street furniture advertising is that it has a limited audience reach. It’s typically only seen by people in the immediate vicinity of the street furniture, rather than reaching a wide area like other types of outdoor advertising.
- Visual Clutter: Due to its placement in public areas, street furniture advertising can be visually overwhelming and become part of the landscape. This can make it difficult for ads to stand out from the crowd and be noticed.
- Safety Concerns: Another downside of street furniture advertising is that it can be a safety hazard. For example, if the furniture is too close to a road, it can cause a distraction to drivers, leading to an increased risk of accidents.
- Vandalism Risk: Street furniture advertising is more prone to vandalism than other types of outdoor advertising. This can be costly to advertisers, as they may have to replace the furniture or fix any damage caused by vandals.
- High Cost: One of the biggest drawbacks of street furniture advertising is its high cost. As the furniture must be purchased and installed, it can be prohibitively expensive for some advertisers.
Pros and Cons of Street Furniture Advertising
- Cost-effective: Street furniture advertising is a relatively inexpensive way to spread the word about your business. It can be used in high-traffic areas, which can result in maximum visibility for your brand or message.
- Flexibility: Street furniture can be strategically placed to target specific demographics. This allows you to tailor your message and reach your target audience more effectively.
- Reach: Street furniture advertising reaches people who may not be exposed to traditional forms of advertising. It also provides an opportunity to engage with potential customers in a more direct and personal way.
- Lack of Control: You may not be able to control the placement of your advertising, which can limit its effectiveness.
- Shorter Lifespan: Street furniture ads have a shorter lifespan than other forms of advertising, requiring frequent replacements or updates.
- Vandalism: Street furniture is susceptible to vandalism, which can be a costly problem.
Most Popular Street Furniture Advertisements
1.Bus Shelters: Bus shelters are one of the most popular street furniture advertisements, as they provide a sheltered space for commuters to wait for the bus and give advertisers a prime opportunity to target commuters with their message. Bus shelters typically feature large advertisements that can be seen from a distance, such as billboards and posters.
- Benches: Benches are another popular form of street furniture advertisement. Most benches feature advertisements on their backs, allowing advertisers to easily target pedestrians who take a rest on the bench. Benches are often placed in busy areas such as parks, shopping malls, and pedestrian walkways, providing great visibility for advertisers.
- Bins: Advertisements printed on bins are also popular, as they provide a unique form of advertising that can be customized to any message or brand. Bins are typically placed in public areas, giving advertisers a great way to target passersby.
4.Street Signs: Street signs are a great way to target drivers and pedestrians. Advertisers can include their message or brand on street signs, making it easier for drivers and pedestrians to be exposed to their advertisement.
- Street Art: Street art is becoming increasingly popular as an advertising medium, as it allows advertisers to be creative and create unique pieces of art that will be seen by passersby. Street art can include anything from graffiti to murals, giving advertisers an opportunity to create a lasting impression.
How Effective is Street Furniture Advertising?
Street furniture advertising can be quite effective if done correctly. It has the potential to reach a wide variety of people, especially in densely populated areas, and can be viewed multiple times by the same person. It can also be used to target specific demographics, such as those in a certain age range or with a certain lifestyle. Additionally, it has the potential to be cost-effective and to generate high levels of engagement, through interactive elements such as QR codes and augmented reality. Finally, if placed strategically, street furniture advertisements can create memorable and effective campaigns.
ROI for Street Furniture Advertising
ROI for street furniture advertising depends on many factors, such as the location, size of the advertisement, type of advertisement, and amount of foot traffic in the area. Generally, this type of advertising can be highly effective if done correctly.
To maximize ROI, advertisers should focus on targeting the right audience and selecting locations that have high foot traffic and visibility. Additionally, the type of ad should be considered – if the goal is brand awareness, a larger ad may be more effective, whereas if the goal is to drive sales, smaller ads with more targeted messages may be better. The cost of the advertisement should also be taken into account, as this will directly affect ROI.
Finally, measuring ROI is essential to ensure that the campaign is successful. Advertisers should track metrics such as click-through rates, conversions, and sales to evaluate the effectiveness of their ads. By monitoring these metrics, advertisers can identify areas for improvement and ensure that their campaigns are delivering the desired results.
Latest Trends in Street Furniture Advertising
- Digital Signage: Digital signage is one of the most popular trends in street furniture advertising. Digital signs can be used to display messages, advertisements, and other information in a dynamic, eye-catching way. Digital signs can be programmed with updates and they allow you to target specific audiences with tailored messaging.
- Smart Benches: Smart benches are a relatively new trend in street furniture. These benches are equipped with sensors that can detect where people are sitting, how long they are sitting for and other data. This data can then be used to target specific audiences with tailored messages and advertisements.
- Interactive Kiosks: Interactive kiosks offer a great way to engage with customers in a creative way. They can be used to provide directions, collect customer feedback, and even show ads.
- Street Art: Street art is becoming increasingly popular, with brands using it as a way to engage with local communities. Using street art to advertise is an effective way to capture the attention of passersby, who may not have been exposed to traditional forms of advertising.
- Gamification: Using games in street furniture advertising is becoming more and more popular. Gamification can be used to engage customers in a fun and interactive way and can be used to promote products and services.
Regulations on Street Furniture Advertising
- Street furniture advertising shall not:
a. In any way obstruct or impede the public right of way, or impede access to or visibility of public signage, including traffic signs;
b. Impede access to public utilities or public transport facilities;
c. Be used in a manner which would be likely to cause a nuisance, or risk of harm, or offence;
d. Contain any offensive language or images which are likely to cause offence or harm;
e. Contain any content which is false, misleading or deceptive;
f. Contain any content which promotes products or services which are prohibited under applicable law;
g. Contain any content which discriminates against any person, group or organisation on the basis of age, gender, race, religion, cultural background, sexual orientation, disability or any other reason;
h. Contain any content which is likely to encourage or promote criminal activity;
i. Contain any content which is likely to cause a breach of the peace;
j. Contain any content which is likely to contravene any other applicable law;
k. Contain any content which is otherwise deemed inappropriate by the relevant authority.
- Advertising shall not be displayed in any public parks, playgrounds or similar areas, unless approved by the relevant authority.
- Street furniture advertising shall be in a form approved by the relevant authority, and shall be removed when requested by the relevant authority.
- Street furniture advertising shall comply with all applicable statutory requirements, including building regulations and planning permission.
- The relevant authority reserves the right to impose additional conditions and restrictions on street furniture advertising, at its discretion.
6 Things You Need to Know When Advertising on Street Furniture
- Understand local laws and regulations: Before you begin advertising on street furniture, it's important to research and understand any laws and regulations in place in the area you plan to advertise in. This includes things like permits, signage requirements, and more.
2. Know your target audience: Street furniture offers a great opportunity to get your message across to a wide range of people. But in order to maximise the effectiveness of your campaign, you should understand who your audience is and where they tend to congregate.
3. Consider the size and type of furniture: Depending on the size of the street furniture you choose, you may need to create a customised ad that suits the environment. Make sure the ad is clearly visible and readable to anyone passing by.
4. Choose the right company to partner with: When it comes to advertising on street furniture, there are a number of companies that offer services that can help you develop and distribute your ads. Choose a company that has a good reputation and can provide high-quality results.
5. Think about the message you want to convey: Make sure your message is concise and clear. Consider how it will come across to people passing by and how it will be perceived.
6. Monitor the performance of your campaign: Once your street furniture ads are up and running, keep an eye on the performance of your campaign to make sure it is reaching your desired audience and achieving its goals.